Tuesday, October 20, 2009

It seems the word is spreading...

Normally I don't publicly expound on a television program but last night I saw a first. Mind you it is not necessarily my favorite, but it caught my attention. CSI Miami had an episode on last night about the pollution created by GMO farmers fields that contaminates organic crops. I was astounded. Never have I seen a prime time entertainment based show use this as a topic.

Organic corn crops across the world are losing their hard earned status as USDA certified, due to "conventional" farm crops. How this happens is the corn grown on another farm that is GMO will shed it's pollen in the wind, this wind drift can travel many miles and mix with the pollen on an organically grown piece of corn, polluting the whole crop forever. Forever! The grower loses it's status and loses incredible amounts of money.

Last night's program show cased a problem that is happening now and the scary thing is that nothing can stop the contamination. I personally am suspect of all corn, even the beautiful local butter and sugar corn sold here on the Cape. Yes, I may be paranoid, but I've done so much research on organic issues that I think I know to much for my own good. It keeps me up at night.
As far as CSI Miami goes I am impressed with their topic choice, but I am still partial to the Las Vegas version. I miss Grisim.

Anyways keep up the good fight eh?- nan

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I am sure that you have seen the documentary "King Corn" that covers much of the same issue, also how the government still subsidizes corn to be made into non-edible items.
    Deana

    ReplyDelete